4 cylinder TR engine fan & harmonic damping - TR urban myth?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: 4 cylinder TR engine fan & harmonic damping - TR urban myth?
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:47:44 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: stuartb@voicenet.com
hi
Stuart Bollen <stuartb@voicenet.com> said
>  <on installing a different cooling fan>    My only concern is that
>someone told me the original fan acts as a crankshaft damper because of its
>weight, and a plastic fan could cause the crank to break at high RPM. Anyone
>got any comments about this?.

I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Graham Robson, & he mentioned that the
factory
managed to break a crank once & it was attributed to harmonic vibration &
subsequent
failure; Robson felt that that considering the amount of testing done this was
an unlikely cause. Well, I paraphrase what I recall he said, but that was about
it.
I have read of TR cranks breaking, but at low revs & low load, which is rather
strange.

However, if you remove the fan/harmonic balancer & your crank breaks at 8000rpm
as you out-drag that MGB, I've never heard of you ...

--

Regards, Adrian (TR4 with original cooling fan)
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk