Hardtops-- real or fake?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtops-- real or fake?
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 05:37:50 -0500
Hello there fellow Triumph Scholars.

I have come across a fellow with a TR-6 that has a hardtop.  We got to
talking for a while and he told me that he would much rather have the real
factory hardtop for his TR-6

I allowed as how I had one of the Parrish Plastics aftermarket hardtops on
one of my TR-4's. . .but that I thought it was still pretty good even if it
wasn't the true factory two piece jobs.  I then said that I thought the TR-6
factory hardtop was particularly good looking and how a fake aftermarket one
wouldn't look right on a 6.

He agreed and then went on about how he thought the removable center section
was nice. . but he'd still rather have the real mccoy for a TR6.

I stopped and hesitated . . . "The hard top on your 6 has separate middle and
rear sections?"

"yup. . it looks a lot like the ones for the 4's."

I quizzed him some more, and he said that he was pretty sure it was an
aftermarket job. . .he thought the whole thing was made of fiberglass. and
was reasonably sure that cockpit cover was in any event.

My question to you all . . did any aftermarket manufactures make 2 piece
hardtops?

could this guy have a real TR-4 factory hard top and not know it?
I thought the center panel on them was metal with a headliner.
Did someone make replacement ones out of fiberglass

Help me out here guys . . dig through you memories and see if any of you
recall anything about aftermarket 2 piece hardtops.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton
In GEORGIA
looking for an A type OD,
but a factoy hardtop  would be okay too.