Re: hardtop for MK II Spit<Pine.PCW.3.91.961112130537.7487B-100000@dos64

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: hardtop for MK II Spit<Pine.PCW.3.91.961112130537.7487B-100000@dos641.nysed.gov>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:02:01 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>> I don't really understand why everyone is so interested in hardtops
>> for the early body style...
>> ... Of course it's a factory fitment to my Spit
>> and therefore I wouldn't dream of parting with it....

>Odd, I think you answered your own question. Interestingly, that's
>exactly the way I'd view it. I always wanted a hardtop for my Mk.3
>Spitfire, although I'd probably never have used it.

OK, OK, I'm a chicken, I've got mine fitted at the minute, but I will probably
take it off when it's passed the MOT(Honest!!) as I want to drive it top down
in the snow for some reason, is this an English eccentricity thing, or do
'we'(this big ol' Triumph family of ours :-)) all have this masochistic
tendency??? :-)

>> It might be of interest that over here an absolute majority (if not
>> all) of the Spitfires after ~ spring 1964 was as standard delivered
>> with the factory hardtop (and the soft top folded) fitted, unless
>> specially ordered without one. (Some -not many though- was actually
>> delivered and registered as coupés, without the soft top things! They
>> are technically speaking illegal to drive open...)

I don't know as to the legality of driving it open, but my Spit 1500(In pieces)
is registered as a Coupe also, while my MkIV is registered as a Sports!!!

>> Other standard fitments over here was the heater/demister unit, the
>> windshield washer...

The one standard feature that the UK(and probably ALL others except California)
market got was an in-built self lightening body structure, this was to
compensate for the decrease in power over the years as the engine wore out,

ie:  Full Power  Full Weight
     No Power    No weight

Simple eh!!!  And you all thought it was because the manufacturers were to
stingey to rust proof them eh!!! :-)

>> ...and many of the later ones were fitted with the
>> stearing column lock and almost all of them was fitted with radials...

I think all MKIV got column locks over here, possibly even VERY late Mk3's.
Also my 1971 Herald 13/60 Estate has one.  Don't know about the radials though.

>* Andrew Mace, President and                *
>*   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
>* Vintage Triumph Register                  *
>* amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

Oh Sh*t....President, I forgot, sorry your Honour, I'm not worthy to make
additions to YOUR emails!!!!! :-)

Cheerio

Rich