Re: Spit Lightswitch

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Lightswitch
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:32:55 +0500 (EST)
Cc: "(dave eaton)" <dezn490@wadnr.gov>, Triumph Group <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On 13 Nov 1996, Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Hmmmm.  Interesting.  Boy, I hate to say it but I am still a little
> confused.
>
> My Spit is the Mk I, US version left hand drive.  It came with a three
> position column stalk that controls the headlamps (off, parking lamps,
> headlamps on low beam), and a floor mounted high beam switch.  It APPEARS
> that the pull switch that was mounted to the dashboard next to the speedo
> simply controlled the instrument panel lights so that one could read the
> gauges at night - nothing more...

This is correct for U.S.-destined cars.

> ...I was using the wiring diagrams in the Bentley,
> Haynes and Autopress manuals, ALL of which are for a non-US spec. car
> (AAARRGGHH!!!!).  Thank God Andy Mace found a US spec. diagram in an old
> Spit owners manual - it saved my day.

I decided to share this with the list, in case others find themselves in
a similar situation. Even the official factory workshop manual does NOT
have the correct wiring diagram for a U.S.-spec. early Spitfire. AFAIK,
the correct diagram appears ONLY in the original owner's handbook.

> If I am correct that the original switch simply controlled the lights for
> the gauges, then I may be able to make the existing switch work (except that
> the knob has that funny little diagram of a broken rear axle on it, of
> course)....

Perhaps this knob is not as readily available as the other
"pictographic" Spitfire/TR4-style knobs. I noticed this year at the VTR
national meet in Albany that at least one of the early Spitfires there
(perhaps more) had the incorrect knob for the instrument lighting
switch. It should depict a speedometer face, more or less. In other
markets, where this switch was the main lighting switch, the knob would
show an illuminated headlamp or similar, as I believe is commonly found
in the earlier TR4.

> ...(This is getting ridiculous - I mean for God's
> sake these are simple little british cars, not a modern electronics filled
> luxury sedan bristling with wires, circuits, fuses, relays, computers, etc.
> I should be able to troubleshoot this thing in a couple of hours).

In theory you're right; it SHOULD be simple. In practice, though, it's
another story. Goes to what I've said before -- here and elsewhere --
for whatever reasons, the U.S.-spec Triumphs are nowhere near as well
documented as are the home market versions. With some research into
original period manuals (spares, owners and sometimes workshop), one can
often determine what would be "correct" for a U.S.-spec. car. However,
so many of the current histories, guides to restorations, "original"
descriptions, etc., seem to have at least somewhat ignored the
specifications for what in many cases constitutes a majority of the total
product sold.

Oh, Ross, BTW, does your column lighting switch have the flash-to-pass
feature built in? Just thought I'd complicate your life still further! ;-)

--Andy