Re: plastic dashboards

To: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Subject: Re: plastic dashboards
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:17:57 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bns.com.au>, triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
NOTE: I know what the rest of you are saying: "Take this to
silly.heralds@autox.team.net!" ;-)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, John Matthews wrote:

> On both my cars I have wooden dashboards.
> I'm pretty sure the '65 is original, but the '61 seems to have been
> modified by the PO somewhat. It has the wood dash, but it also has oil
> pressure and ammeter added on the side....

Your 1961 is a 948, right? Originally, it would not have had the wooden
fascia unless added by the dealer or some previous owner. And it
originally would have had white-faced (grey markings) gauges.

Most 1200s, except maybe 1962-63, for North America would have had a
wooden fascia AND the padded vinyl dash top/surround. Originally, the
wood had beveled cutouts for the switches and knobs. This dash
literally was an "overlay" with only gauges needing to be removed and
reinstalled after mounting the wood fascia to the dash. On later 1200 wood
dashes, the switches mounted on the wood.

> ...Perhaps the "plastic" dash mentioned was produced
> by whoever assembled cars in Australia? Are the cars in question ones
> that were produced in kit "CKD" form? Just a thought.

My thoughts exactly.

--Andy