Spitfire Speedo & Tach Cables

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Speedo & Tach Cables
From: Isaac <Isaac@avana.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:57:59 -0500
For my '71 Spitfire 1300, I just ordered a tachometer cable and a speedo
cable. Neither one fits my car. The Tachometer drive on the distributor
is the same size and thread as the back of the gauge (both gauges were
obtained from a '72 Spitfire)  The cable I received has one very small
end, too small for either end of the tach hook-up, and one big end, too
big for either also. The Speedometer cable is much shorter and fatter
and has two threaded ends, but my speedometer head has some sort of push
on/ clicks-and-locks attachment on it. My transmission doesn't appear to
have either type of connector on it where the drive connector should be
(maybe just a small hole there).  This is the non-overdrive tranny.
What i need to know is, has anyone seen this situation before? What
kinda cables do I need? I am absolutely uncertain that the distributor
and tranny came off the same year car.  The tranny in my '72 parts car
looks slightly different at the gearbox, but is also non-overdrive. Do I
need new gauges? A different distributor? What do I tell the parts store
from whence I got these cables?

Thanks for any help,

Isaac Crow
'71 Spitfire 1300 (now only partial basketcase)