Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery Oil)

To: ingate@shiseis.com
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery Oil)
From: emanteno@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 05:01:49 -0800
On 11/12/96 14:34:15 you wrote:

>At a recent local Pantera club monthly meeting, we had a fellow from a
>gasoline research organization.  He spoke of Marvel Mystery Oil,
>saying it was developed during WWII for aircraft gas applications
>(sorry, I've forgotten why).  However, he did add that the new gas
>that is now sold in California has also the deletarious affect (in
>addition to rotting older rubber gas lines) of exacerbating rust
>in fuel tanks, and that several oz's of MMO every few tankfuls helps
>prevent this rot.

Shane's note about fuel system rot reminded me to post this for those who may
have replaced
stock mechanical fuel pumps with electric ones. I did this in my TR6 over 15
years ago. I used
the interrupter/diaphragm style fuel pump. My first pump lasted over 10 years,
my second lasted
over 5, the last one was dead in just over a year. We (myself and my local
parts house)
determined by reading the information that comes with a new pump that this
style of pump is not
compatible with the EPA mandated oxygenated fuels, the fuel attacks the innards
of the pump. If
you have or want to go to an electric fuel pump, be sure to buy one that is
intended (and says
so) for all types of fuel.

Irv
74 TR6 CF22767U