Re: tr6 won't start....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr6 won't start....
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:37:20 -0800
Sholtes IV wrote:

> Tom Di Iulio wrote:
>
>                                  ~edited~
>
> tried to start
> > her up and no dice. a loud click comes from the relay (i think that's
> > what it is) mounted on the firewall. new battery installed last week.
> > is it the relay, starter or what? your thoughts are appreciated.....
> > tom
> > 76 tr6 #56452
>
> Tom,
>
>     If your soleniod, located on the shelf on the right hand side of
> the firewall, was clicking, then we can rule out the ign. switch or
> wiring being at fault. New batteries sometimes can go flat in a week,
> if there is a small short (to ground) present. I would check for twelve
> volts at the battery first. Then for twelve volts to the starter, on
> the big wire between the solenoid and the starter, while the key is in
> the "crank position". If you have enough volts here, I would check to
> make sure this wire is securely tightened to the solenoid and starter
> so it can carry the amperage necessary. Next check that there is a suf-
> ficient ground to the engine block, and if it is secure and in good en-
> ough condition to handle the amperage. This also includes checking that
> the starter is in good contact with the engine block, where it gets its
> ground from. Lastly check to make sure the battery voltage stays up to
> at least ten volts when the ignition switch is in the "cranking
> position".
>    If everything seems o.k., I would suspect that the starter itself is
> the culprit, and would have it tested further at an automotive electric
> repair shop...
>
>                                JOE IV
>                                TR 250
>                         WALLINGFORD, CT. USAHey Joey,

are you shure the solenoid is on the "shelf"?
IMHO, only TR2 >> TR250, NOT TR5 &TR6 , have it there!

But nevertheless, the advices seem OK for me. :)

Clicking of the solenoid, means no voltage at the starter-motor.

Why ...? Tom will find it with your guide!

--
BFN   Pete          _____                            1962 TR4 daily
        -- -  -    / <>  \   __,@_\____              Peter Juergens