Re: Wheels for a Spitfire

To: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Subject: Re: Wheels for a Spitfire
From: pwatson@ix.netcom.com (Pete Watson)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:03:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:

>Does anyone know how big (width and hieght) of wheels (tires / rim)
will
>fit into a MK II Spitfire without rubbing?
>
>Thanks,
>Ed

Ed,
     I used to run a MkII Spit with 13x6 BWA Sportstar wheels and
185/70 Michelin tires.  I did have to bend up the inner wheel arch
edges on the front fenders, and the tires did rub on the back of the
wheel well (front of the foot well!) at hard lock/full crunch.  There
was no problem at the back.  I would guess that 185/60 tires (or even
50 series, if you can find them) would not rub in the back, but you
still might have to turn up the edges of the wheel arches.
     I also installed shims under the lower A-arm mounting points on
the frame to set the front camber to about 2 degrees neg.  This planted
the tires square on the ground in hard cornering, and I found that
tread wear was nice and even across the tread, despite the contact
patch being twice that of the OEM tires (5.20-13 bias plies!).  I also
had installed a camber compensator at the rear, with longer end links
to pre-load the cc against the road spring.  Kind of a poor man's
variable spring rate!  It sure did handle, though; I could use the
advised speed signs for a rev indicator for most turns, i.e.
40mph==>4000 rpm or 70-ish.

     Pete