Re: srpings & plastic washers???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: srpings & plastic washers???
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:44:47 -0800
> Included in the kit are 16 very nice chrome lug nuts, 16 springs, and 16
split
> plastic washers.  Does anyone know what the springs and split plastic washers
> are for? I'm baffled!!
>
> As far as I can tell, the split plastic washers are completely useless.  When
> I tighten them down all they do is deflect and push out of the way.
>
> I need to find some decent metal washers to fit around the acorn lug nuts VB
> sent.  Any leads out there??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You didn't mention what car these were for but from what I can remember, and
this was a long time ago, the original steel wheels on my 72 Spitfire had a
small plastic silvery-grey center section.  The springs were installed on
little tabs that went between the plastic center section and the wheel, the
plastic split washers were installed onto a small reduced section groove on
the lug nuts just below where the actual "nut" starts.  The now spring
loaded center section would press against the plastic washers and the cone
of the lug nut would be against the counter-sunk hole on the wheel.  This
kept the little center section secure and rattle free but still allowed
proper wheel attachment.  If your smashing the plastic washer against the
wheel (something it was not designed for) then it sounds like you have a
mis-match of wheel/nut combination, a potentially dangerous situation.  The
cone type of lug nut must be used with the counter-sunk style of mounting,
ususally the stamped steel, and some of your better alloy (panasport comes
to mind) wheels.  That cone contacts the counter-sunk area effectively
centring and clamping the wheel   The shoulder type of lug nut must be used
with the counter-bored type of wheel.  Using the wrong lug nut with the
wrong wheel can be disastrous!  It sounds like the lug nut is not seating
where it should and is using the washer area to clamp the wheel (shoulder
type) check the type of mounting is the only thing that comes to mind
here-the kit sounds correct for the type of wheel I used to have.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+