Re: Winter Subject: Frozen Nuts (a la Barry Schwartz)

To: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: Winter Subject: Frozen Nuts (a la Barry Schwartz)
From: "Scott D. Sanders" <ssanders@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:46:46 -0600 (CST)
Cc: joeiv@concentric.net, Bschwartz@encad.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 SCHWANGAU@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-11-12 18:02:02 EST, joeiv@concentric.net (Sholtes IV)
> writes:
>
> > My only hope is you never have a wheel stud frozen to a wheel~
>

> I did have a stud frozen to the wheel once.  Actually, it was the lug nut
> frozen to the stud.

i learned a nifty trick once, when we had broken stud in the wheels of a
tandem-axle farm truck. say the stud is 5/8  inch (or whatever). take a
piece of flat stock, about a foot long (it was something like 1/8 inch,
tho i imagine the thicker the better. drill a 5/8 inch (or whatever) hole
near one end of it, slip it over the broken stud, then weld it solid, all
the way around. then take appropriate Big Striking Utensil, and pound on
the other end. it makes a nifty lever, and depending on your welding job,
it should come right out. the heat of the welding probably also helps
crack it loose. in our example, we broke the weld off twice, but on
the third time came on out. of course, measure or gawk, and adjust
dimensions to suit.