Winter Subject: Frozen Nuts (a la Barry Schwartz)

To: joeiv@concentric.net, Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Winter Subject: Frozen Nuts (a la Barry Schwartz)
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:45:59 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-11-12 18:02:02 EST, joeiv@concentric.net (Sholtes IV)
writes:

> My only hope is you never have a wheel stud frozen to a wheel~

I did have a stud frozen to the wheel once.  Actually, it was the lug nut
frozen to the stud.  Dumbsh*t tire jockey whizzed on the nuts with his high
powered air wrench without assuring they were NOT CROSSTHREADED first.  The
spead and power of the wrench literally WELDED the nut to the stud.  After
breaking several air tools in an effort to remove, they found the bigest
lever they could fit on the stoutest socket they could find.  All it did was
round off the nut.

You guessed it, they had to get a power saw and saw the wheel off the car
(lots of destruction).  They made good on it all to me.  But it shows what
kind of trouble a business owner can get into when they hire the lowest wage
people.  That poor shop owner ate a lot of margin to make up for that one
doofus's mistake.

It was a nice alloy wheel, too.

Brian