Brake MC Rebuild...Conclusion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumphs)
Subject: Brake MC Rebuild...Conclusion
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net (Bill Munts)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 17:18:55 GMT
Hi All,

If you recall last week I was having problems with the Vicky Brit Brake MC
rebuild kit.  The primary piston seal simply would not go on without splitting.
I measured the new seals to the original and found some differences.  I found
that the Vicky Brit kit was made by PBR in Australia and that the TRF kit was
made by Lucas/Girling (Out of stock at that time).

Based on recommendations from this list I ordered the TRF kit and decided to
wait.  Well it showed up yesterday (Thursday) I had ordered it Monday, they
must have received the kits the day I ordered it.  I have compared the Vicky
Brit kit to the TRF kit and would say that the TRF kit is more complete.  The
Vicky Brit kit did not contain the filler cap gasket or the assembly grease
(although I had some).  The dimensions of the seals between the Vicky Brit kit
and the TRF kit are very close (one blown theory).  However, I believe the
seals are made from different compounds.  The TRF seal is a good bit softer and
more pliable.  So needless to say the seal went right on.  I installed it in
exactly the same fashion.  In Vicky Brit's defense, they were as helpful as
they could be and replaced the first split seal.  They asked that I return the
kit for a refund.

So for all those of you who asked me to post the results of this little
mess...there you are, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.  I have
absolutely no interest in either Vicky Brit or TRF.

Hope this info helps someone

Bill M.
'70 Mk3 Spitfire