Mystery wheels (A/P ?)

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mystery wheels (A/P ?)
From: Dean Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:44:40 -0500 (EST)
I have a set of chrome slotted steel wheels that came on my TR4 parts car.
They have a hub cover with the letters "A/P" in a quasi-script font in the
center (It is clearly not "A/R").  Also, the hub has a bunch of holes that
I assume allowed fitting to a range of cars with similar bolt spacing, but
different numbers of bolts. Finally, they are 14" wheels, which seems odd
for a car that originally came with 15" wheels.

My questions for the collective wisedom of the group:

1) What are they?

2) Are they of any particular value?  I know chrome plating is expensive,
so I was considering sand-blasting them and painting them with a silver
metallic paint.

3) Why would 14" wheels be fitted to a TR4?  I remember hearing that 240Z
wheels had the same bolt pattern as TRs, and I seem to remember that my
'72 240Z had 14" wheels on it.  Coincidence?

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
1962 TR4 (CT2413L) A mere shadow of its former self