Re: TR-3 vs TR-4 engine differences

To: Bill Sohl <billsohl@planet.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3 vs TR-4 engine differences
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 12:17:29 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Bill Sohl wrote:

> Someone else mentioned the larger diameter pistons, but
> stated they were 87mm.  The correct diameter
> is 86mm.  The 87mm pistons/sleeves are the .040 larger
> pistons allowed by SCCA competition rules (I don't
> know what the rules are today, but that was what was
> allowed in the old Production classes in the 1970's.
> FYI, correct diameter of the TR-3 engine was 83mm EXCEPT most
> of the TR-3B engines were the larger 86mm size.

Of course, the 86mm pistons/liners were optional for the TR3A;
similarly, the 83mm pistons/liners were optional for the TR4.

> If anyone is concerned about originality, I can tell you that
> the Vintage Triumph Register
> judging of cars does not include engine serial
> numbers (and I hope we never get that silly)....

Amen! Needless to say, it would be virtually impossible to pay close
attention to engine numbers unless build records were available. Even
then, how could a judge punish the current owner because someone 10, 20,
30 years ago had an engine go bad on them?

If one were to nitpick (semantically), I'd say the best we can hope for
is "correctness" of the cars in components used. How many hundreds of
Herald engines are currently residing in Spitfire engine bays, and vice
versa. It's nice to see a near-completely-original car, down to the
tiniest component, but it's very rare.

--Andy "I've an original A&A (Alford & Alder) upper ball joint on the
RaceSpit!" Mace

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *