Re: TR4A Rigid Axle-Leaf Springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Rigid Axle-Leaf Springs
From: daverne@dlcwest.com (Doug Daverne)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:53:48 -0600
Hi fellow TR-4 owners:

I replaced the rear leaf springs on my 1961 TR-4 about a dozen years ago.
Initially I had a set of springs made up locally and had the identical
problem i.e. little or no rear suspension travel.  Of note that was that the
local replacements had fewer leaves but of a thicker material.  I fooled
around with the things (removing leaves, etc.) but finally abandoned them
and ordered a pair from TRF.  This corrected the problem.  The difference
between my car and yours is that mine does not use the spacer piece.  We are
probably not talking about the same part no. either.  IMHO if the spring has
the same no. of leaves, same thickness, and same curvature then you have the
same spring.  Even if your old springs are broken or relaxed they should
appear fairly similar.  If not then they are the wrong spring.  The only
other factor that would make otherwise identical springs stiffer is if
something is preventing the individual leaves from sliding with respect to
each other.

FWIW

Doug Daverne

Regina, Saskatchewan