TR4A Rigid Axle-Leaf Springs

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Rigid Axle-Leaf Springs
From: "K.R. Stewart" <kstewart@icis.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 07:58:37 -0500
Cc: <75701.242@CompuServe.com>
David Rupert writes about new leaf springs not fitting properly.

David, please keep in touch with me on this one and forward any
direct replies to me as well. I have exactly the same situation.
I am completing a frame off restoration of my 1967 TR4A (live
axle). I took the original springs to a leaf shop to have a new
leaf put in-one leaf was broken. When they took them apart, the
condition was such that they advised against simply adding a new
leaf. Since replacements for the originals were available from
TRF, the shop dumped the old ones and I ordered new ones. This
was approximately one and one half to two years ago.

We needed about 10 people standing on the frame to get the
springs to fit. The lever shock arms have completely compressed
the rubber stops and the axle tube rests on the frame. I called
Dave Hagenbuch at TRF and he wondered about them being the wrong
product. After checking the paint stenciled numbers he confirmed
that these were the correct items. Dave indicated to me that he
had recollections of something similar within the past year but
could not recall exactly. Dave checked with the manufacturer of
the springs and confirmed that supposedly these were the correct
springs. At the time, I decided to wait until all was back
together to see what could be done. It sure looks like the
springs are the wrong length.

Please keep in touch and let me know what you find out.
    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario