Wolfrace wheels (non-Triumph)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs)
Subject: Wolfrace wheels (non-Triumph)
From: Daren Allder <dallder@bicronne.tcom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:21:00 +0000
Cast your minds back to mid-September, and you may recall a thread on
Wolfrace wheels, the "de rigeur" British alloy custom wheels of the
seventies.  These wheels were everywhere (on boy racers' Escorts, Capris
etc.) because they were cheap and readily available  -  you could even
get them from your mum's mail order catalogue  -  and I assumed that they
were therefore not makers of "serious" wheels.  How wrong could I be?  I
discovered last weekend that Wolfrace wheels are the fastest on
earth.....

I went to the Museum of British Road Transport in Coventry last Saturday
where, amongst other cars (Herald (half of a coupe!), Vitesse, TR2, 2000
police car, Spitfire MkIII, TR7, Dolomite Sprint, Mayflower, blah blah
blah and lots of interesting non-Triumphs of course) they have Thrust 2
on display.  This is the current holder of the world land speed record,
at over 633 mph.  I took a look at the tyre-less aluminium alloy wheels
that it ran on, and guess what's stamped in the centres?  Yup,
"Wolfrace".

Daren Allder
Reading, England.