Dash Refinishing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dash Refinishing
From: ArthurK101@AOL.COM
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:18:10 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-23 17:58:49 EST, andertonm@juno.com (Mark R.
Anderton) writes:

> I guess what I didn't say in my earlier message was
>  that I did refinish the dash on my 72 TR6 about 5 years ago with some
>  success, but I felt like I was extremely lucky in that I was able to
>  chip off the old finish without damaging the very fragile veneer.  Any
>  one attempting this should NOT take sandpaper to the veneer. <

Amen.  I used a mild stripper from Sears and CAREFULLY used a thin putty
knife to scrape the old finish off the veneer.  The veneer was not damaged.
 Next I painted the air vent and speedo/tach edges with a brown Krylon paint
(close to the original color).  I then used a polyurethane clear gloss
finish, wet sanding with 1200 grit between each of 4 coats.  Looks like new

> Apart from the fact that I wasn't happy with the color of the stain/finish
I put
>  back on, it has served well til recently.  The plywood substrate has
>  succmbed to age and is falling apart, so I got a new dash from TRF.

As far as the plywood substrate - I used several coats of mineral oil (tung
oil would also work) applied to the back of the wood dash.  This soaked in
from the back and has prevented the plywood from deteriorating.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L