Re: Chatting on the List

To: twakeman@scruznet.com, joeiv@concentric.net, Martin_A._Secrest@neb.voa.gov
Subject: Re: Chatting on the List
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 16:46:15 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-11-22 00:09:19 EST, twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn
Wakeman) writes:

> Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:
>  >>
>  >> At some personal peril, may I remind all Scions of Triumph that
>  >conversations between two subscribers can, and maybe sometimes should,
>  >occur directly, that is, off the *triumphs* list as a whole?
>  >Martin,

 Agree with "... can, and maybe sometimes should"  this is a judgement call.

>  >
>  >    Not to chastise you in your humble observation, but more as a
>  >difference of opinion, I feel compelled to express my disagreement.
>  >I feel that "chatting" is an important form of social discourse quite
>  >vital to the well being and general friendly nature of this mailist.
>
>  Joe,
>
>  The main British car mail list is set up for chatting.  The breakout
marque
>  lists were set up to concentrate on technical aspects of a marque.
>
>  There is a place for everything and....
>
>  TeriAnn
>
>  twakeman@scruznet.com

GIVE US A BREAK!  If you don't want to read the message, then screen it and
don't read it.  I think that there are things, which may not be obvious to
the originators of threads or messages, that will be of interest to others on
the list.  Many items have a far more reaching significance than is evident
at first glance.
IMHO - This list is doing fine as is - but some people seem to have an urge
to control or censor and find it hard to resist that urge.  Or maybe they
can't control their own ability to "screen".
  On the other hand, we should all be kind enough to use good judgment when
sending messages.  Those messages which are definitely of interest to only
one other person should be sent only to that other person, while those
messages which may have interest to a wider audience should be sent more
widely. (And use of the subject line can help in the screening process).
 PersonaIly, I would rather see errors on the "more widely distributed" side.
  I don't think this list is bad about the number of messages "shotgunned"
out.  As with all things involving judgment - sometimes an error does occur,
but in the main we do pretty well, folks.  So "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."   :-)  ENJOY.
Art Kelly