re: clutch problems TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: clutch problems TR3A
From: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 17:04:19 -0500
On Mon, 18 Nov 1996,  M. W. Jordan, Jr. wrote:

> Get back to the shop and am unable to get the clutch to work at all.  > Pedel
>goes to the floor, no effect. The fluid cup seems full; no > apparent leaks at
>either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder.
>
> I guess a take down of the MC and the slave cylinder is next.  Any
> suggestions as to what I thought I did right that is so wrong ?

I wrote earlier in the week that you should bleed the clutch system
again and check for air. Since you haven't noticed any leaks, this is
probably not the problem, but having thought about it some more, I
remembered something else that happened to my TR3A.

Depress the clutch and notice whether the rod on the slave cylinder is
moving. If it is, then it is possible that the pin (bolt) that holds the
clutch release fork to the clutch release fork shaft has broken. This
can cause the symptoms you described, and requires removal of the
transmission to repair. Good luck.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
1958 TR3A