Re: Dash knob removal

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: Dash knob removal
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:39:47 EST
Cc: rbaugher@naplesnet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:50:31 -0800 scott suhring
<suhring@lancnews.infi.net> writes:
>Robb Baugher wrote:
>>
>> Are you refinishing the dash panel yourself or having it done.  I'm
>> looking for some tips in case I want to do mine while I have them
>loose.
>>  They're not that bad (so I don't want to screw them up) but their
>are a
>> few cracks.
>>
>>  Robb Baugher
>>  73' Stag
>>  Marco Island, FL, USA
>

>Rob:
>
>Yes, I plan to do the refinishing myself. Before the TR6, I did quit
>a bit of furniture refinishing (house has gotten too crowded with
>antiques and I got tired of doing for others). I plan to try and save
>the
>original veneer, but if not replace it with new veneer.
>
>To try and save, first give it a good cleaning (mineral spirits works
>well). Removing the original finish is done with a striper. Paste is
>probably better than liquid since you want to avoid loosening the glue
>of
>the veneer. Very Fine Sanding using 220 or higher grit, by hand.
>Restain
>per the type of wood of the veneer. Put a good three coats of finish
>(I
>prefer a varnish based satin so you don't get a sheen). Last, but most
>
>important, rub out using #0000 steel wool and a lubricant (I like
>lindseed oil). This last step is what gives you that glass like touch
>finish.
>
>If you tackle the job and have questions, let me know.
>
>Scott Suhring
>Elizabethtown, PA
>'70 TR6

My experience with my TR dash panel was that the veneer was AMAZINGLY
thin, somewhat like tissue paper, and it did not respond well to
stripping, sanding, etc.  The next problem that you run into is
repainting the edges the right color, not to mention the task of finally
getting a factory quality finish.  Lots of places sell very high quality
replacement panels in a variety of finishes for about $150.  I would
love to hear  about successful efforts to refinish these things.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea)
1966 Morris Minor