Re: Dash knob removal

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dash knob removal
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:29:45 EST
Cc: andertonm@juno.com, triumphs@autox.team.net.-
>shout and I'll fill you in on the details.
>Cheers.
>Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner, daily driver)
>VTR vehicle consultant TR4s

Thanks for the info.  I guess what I didn't say in my earlier message was
that I did refinish the dash on my 72 TR6 about 5 years ago with some
success, but I felt like I was extremely lucky in that I was able to
chip off the old finish without damaging the very fragile veneer.  Any
one attempting this should NOT take sandpaper to the veneer.  Apart from
the fact that I wasn't happy with the color of the stain/finish I put
back on, it has served well til recently.  The plywood substrate has
succmbed to age and is falling apart, so I got a new dash from TRF.

Funny story - when I refinished the dash years ago, I also put in new
carpet and a new radio and some new dash pads.  As I turned the last
screw, my teenage son asked if he could use the car.  Agianst my better
judgement, I decided to let him take the maiden voyage.  As he started
it up and drove away, I was going through a mental checklist of all of
the things I might have forgotten to hook up and it dawned upon me.....
I went screaming down the street behind him.  He stopped, and as I
suspected, I had neglected to hook up the oil line to the oil pressure
gauge.  New radio full of 10w-40 as was a large part of the new carpet.
Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea)
1966 Morris Minor