Re: negative chamber

To: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>
Subject: Re: negative chamber
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 09:30:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, robert ylitalo wrote:

> How do i get a negative chamber on my spit mk2 65
> Is there a kit i can buy.
> I saw something about this in the latest number of triumph world,but the
> part describing this was very short.

Robert, the easiest way to do this is to have a spring shop "dearch" the
spring. It should not be too expensive; in fact it is one of the least
expensive handling improvments you can make to the early Spitfires and
Heralds, along with bolting on some good adjustable shocks such as Koni
or Spax. No less than Sir Jack Brabham himself often made just such
modifications in building the Coventry-Climax-engined Heralds he sold in
the early 1960s.

As for the 175/70 13 tires, they should fit well enough under the body
with no interference. Note, though, that they should be used in
conjunction with wheels no narrower than 4.5"; the original 3.5" rims of
a Mk.2 really aren't wide enough to gain the full benefit of the 175
tire, and such a narrow width is NOT recommended by most tire
manufacturers for the 175/70 13 tire.

--Andy