Re: Restoration Sequence (kinda long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restoration Sequence (kinda long)
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 09:30:57 -0500
The question is:

<<In the process of performing a ground up restoration on a TR250 / 6 is it
best to repair the inner and outer body panels before removing the body unit
from the chassis frame to insure / help  the proper line-up when
re-installation occurs after the frame repair?  >>

This is what I have always read - HOWEVER it is not how my restorer is going
about the body work on my TR250.

I first removed all the panels, interior, engine, drivetrain etc from "Emma"
 -  next we braced the tub before removing the doors.  Pulled body from
frame, mounted on a "dolly" and sent off to Redi-Stripper.

We are preparing the frame in its absence.

I will let you know how it turns out (whether you all want to hear or not)

I believe the answer to your question depends upon how experienced you are
(or the person doing the body work) and just how much work you are going to
do.

To just pull a couple of panels, and maybe replace the floors - I would leave
the tub on the frame.

I my case, and in the "Practical guide to restorations-Tr6" which I used as a
guide - we are doing a total frame off resto - replacing not only the above
referenced parts but also repairing/replacing many sub parts (pieces of the
tub itself)

The frame - which was solid and unbent - will be used as the guide in getting
all this back together, and my restorer will have to cope with getting every
thing back on with proper gaps etc.  However, since he is much more
experienced at this than me, or probably all of us (since he is doing them
everyday, versus once every couple of years, or once every lifetime) it
amounts to six of one, half dozen of another to him.

JoeSimcoe