American Racing wheels for TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: American Racing wheels for TR6
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 10:48:39 -0800
Years ago at an autocross I stumbled onto 3 (yes, 3) American Racing
Equipment aluminum wheels for my TR6.  It is a four spoke pattern which I
have seen on some of Kastner's race cars.  Being somewhat naive, I figured
that I could easily find a fourth wheel.  Well, here I am!  Still no wheel!
The description can get somewhat involved, so I'll try to keep it brief.
There are two versions, first of all... a 6" wide and a 5 1/2".  They both
are 15" in dia., and their offset requires that you add a spacer to the
hub, or else the ends of the upper wishbones contact the inside rim of the
wheel when the wheel is turned.  The spokes are a rough-cast finish, and
they are fat at the center, and narrow at the outer ends where they meet
the polished rim.  On the 5 1/2" wheel, there is an interesting peculiarity
about the outside rim surface.  On each wheel, the wheel weight surface of
the rim steps down to another similar surface that is concentric.  On the 5
1/2' wheel, this surface is not flat.  It is 'U' shaped, and quite
obviously so.  To illustrate, if you lay the wheel flat on the ground and
pour water on it, you get what amounts to a moat around the ends of the
spokes, inside of the wheel weight surface.  If this strikes a chord with
anyone, let me know.  I think I could send you a photo in jpeg format or
something, right?  I would really like to find this fourth wheel!  If I
didn't make myself clear, I'm looking for the 5 1/2" wheel.

Thank you,

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6
1970 TR6