Re: TR3 engine knocking, Help ...............................and an unde

To: stuartb@voicenet.com
Subject: Re: TR3 engine knocking, Help ...............................and an understanding wife
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:10:41 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Brooks@belcotech.com
 "Trouble is my darn wife eggs me on instead of getting pissed off  like
a good wife should."

Stuart,

I wish I had know a few months ago you would drop your price so
dramatically.  I am not loving life right now.  The TR3 we purchased a
month ago seem to be developing a loud regular knock at the front of the
engine, which I am hoping is the big end of number one cylinder, and not
a crank bearing.   I over spent our budget to buy a car which would not
need much work over the next few years because my kids are one and three
and I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time.  WRONG!

Not all the wives get mad.   My wife has taken it in stride, "It is a
used car, I would expect something to be wrong".  Is she a gem or what!

BTW,  I found mine in Hemmings.  Also, list it in the Special car journal
on the web and  VTR's web page has classifieds.  I will get back to you
with the Web address tomorrow.

Help!

All you regular TR wrenchers.  It has come on fast, less than 200 miles;
almost sounds like it could be from the water pump, but I feel it is from
the cylinder #1 area.  Rattles at idle, up to around 4,000 RPM, where it
seem to go away, maybe.  I was planning on checking out the bearings this
winter because of low, 15 psi oil pressure when hot.  The cold oil
pressure is 70 psi, limited by the pressure relief valve.  I took it out
cleaned it, and later adjusted it to be sure that it was working.

If the problem is a crank main bearing, can that be done from underneath
also like the big ends?  I only discovered this noise today and my
preliminary reading of the manuals is not clear.

If anyone has any ideas or things to check out,  I would appreciate your
guidance.  Also, if anyone has redone the bottom end with the engine in
the car, I would appreciate your titbits of wisdom.  I will be working
with the original service manual and the Haynes manual.  The car was
going up on jackstands for the winter soon anyhow.  Anyone live near
northeastern New Jersey that is willing to swing by and take a listen
please drop me a line.  I can't get into it for a couple of weeks anyhow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L