Re: TR3 engine knocking, Help ...............................and an und

To: Jack I Brooks <jibrooks@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 engine knocking, Help ...............................and an understanding wife
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:46:07 -0500
Cc: stuartb@voicenet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, Brooks@belcotech.com
Jack,

   I have an idea. If you suspect the water pump, why not dis-
connect it?  This is not a joke!  I am only suggesting that for
diagnostic purposes, and with a cold engine, I believe you should be
able to run the engine for a minute or two with the fan belt dis-
connected.  I would suggest getting someone else to start, stop,
and rev the engine, so you spend the most part of this time up front
listening to the engine instead of running back and forth.
   As another idea, I suggest using a two foot (or so) length of
heater hose, held to your ear, to isolate the noise.  The effect-
iveness of this method has to be expierienced to be beleived.  I
have isolated many noises this way that were echoing around an en-
gine bay and seemed at first impossible to source out.  I still can't
use this method for tuning carbs though, for that I have to use my
trusty unisyn.

   Godd luck (we're all hoping for the best)

                         JOE IV
                         TR 250
                  WALLINGFORD, CT. USA