TR6 clutch trouble part 2

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 clutch trouble part 2
From: "Bruce A. Krobusek" <74106.1335@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 Nov 96 12:01:27 EST
>So, what do you all think of the possibility of motor oil finding its way
>into the fluid somehow, thus contaminating it and causing the gradual
>failure of the seals?

Other than possibly dropping motor oil into your clutch M/C reservoir if you
leave the M/C cap off, I can't begin to think how oil would get in there. The
clutch hydraulics are (except for when they leak!) a closed system.

>Should TR6 owners expect that their fluid will fill up with black gunk?

I had black gunk in my clutch system so I rebuilt both the master and
slave cylinders (all seals replaced) after washing each out with alcohol.
I put in DOT 4 and I'm still getting the gunk. Since I'm using my original
M/C it was suggested that I could have some corrosion in there that could
be damaging the seals. <shrug> I guess I need to replace the M/C as that's
all that's left. Certainly, though, the gunk has not (to this point!) addected
clutch operation.

If you're having problems with the clutch after any portion of the system has
been rebuilt you could very well have a stubborn air bubble or two in there.
I've seen other comments where folks had to unbolt the slave cylinder and
tilt it so that the bleed screw was at a much higher level before that last,
miserable air bubble was removed. Just a thought...

     - BAK -

      Bruce A. Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       brucekro@aol.com