RE: TR6 clutch trouble part 2

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Pete & Aprille Chadwell'" <dynamic@pbgi.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 clutch trouble part 2
From: Daddy Gene <garrison@shadow.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:24:17 -0500
Pete -

I've owned my '73 TR6 for about 11 years as a daily driver.  I've seen the same
kinds of problems as you have, though not nearly as badly.  I've only used
Castrol brake fluid, with the red grease to lubricate the slave cylinder shaft,
and I replaced the nylon coupling hose several years back, so I think I've done
everything right.  I've had no real problems with clutch functionality other
than the following.

My brake fluid gets discolored after, I would guess, 6 months to a year.  Not
as badly as yours; kind of a semi-opaque dark gray color with a little bit of
black sediment in the bottom of the master cylinder.  The master cylinders and
slave cylinders seem to last about 2 to 4 years before they'll start to leak
past the seals (clutch still works; just makes a mess).  Rebuild kits seem to
be good for 2 or 3 months before they start leaking, so I've pretty much given
up on that.

A question for the list...  I believe that the cylinders don't last and that
the rebuilds (new seals) don't work because the cylinders are such soft
material (aluminum?) and groove so easilly.  I've got the address of an outfit
that re-sleeves the cylinders, presumably in something harder like maybe
stainless.  Does anybody have any experience with these?  Do they hold up any
better?

It's time for another master cylinder...

Gene Garrison
Owned by '73 TR6 in S. Florida

p.s.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if my "black gunk" isn't just
aluminum oxide?  I don't get any discernible particles in mine...