FW: Spitfire info

To: "Shawn Mann" <shawmon@worldnet.att.net> (Return requested), triumph-group <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Spitfire info
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 30 Nov 1996 07:17:45 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 06F6232A05019001-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <06F6232A05019001*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
 Shawn Mann wrote:
I just purchased a 79 Spit, and as its my first Triumph (or LBC of any
sort, for that manner), I'm looking for some good books on it.  It seems
that most of the stuff I find or that has been recommended here is for
the TR series.  As an LBC neophyte, I ask the group wisdom for guidance.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawn -

Graham Robson makes a fairly decent book called "Triumph Spitfire and GT6"
that gives a lot of historical background on the Spitfire.  A far better
book for restoration purposes is by John Thomason called "Triumph Spitfire
and GT6 - A Guide to Originality."  Both are available from Classics Books
by mail order.  Call 1 (800) 555-1212 and the information operator will have
the number.  I think the company is in Kansas.

For "wrenching", I suggest that you bite the bullet and pay the $40 or so
for the "Bentley Manual" for Triumph Heralds/Spitfires/GT6s.  Plus to round
out your collection, pick up the "Haynes Manual" for Spitfires.  Both are
also available from Classic Books.

I have almost completed the restoration of a 64 Spitfire and have found ALL
of them to be very useful and invaluable in terms of determining historical
accuracy, etc.  There are some things covered better in one book versus
another.  The Bentley manual is probably best for mechanical work, but the
photos are tiny and Haynes sometimes has better diagrams.  One more thing -
you should check out the local used bookstores because sometimes you can
find a real nugget there.  I have an old Autopress book that covers Heralds
and Spitfires and between it, Haynes, and Bentley there is virtualy nothing
that I cannot repair/replace/rebuild/etc.  Good luck and let us all know
more about your Spitfire.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4