Re: TR6 Carb Dashpot

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Carb Dashpot
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:46:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott, a while back I researched the weight of oil in the dashpot of my
Zeniths.  I found in one of the manuals that it originally called for 20W
oil.  I could not find 20W available anywhere.  What I finally did was
purchase the "Carburetor Dashpot oil" sold by TRF.  It looks thin enough to
be 20W and works well.  It is expensive but I have not even used a quarter of
the bottle in 2 years of daily driving.

The purpose of the oil is to dampen the carburetor piston speed up and down
as you accelerate and decelerate.  I figure that the if engineers who
designed the carbs specify 20W then that is probably the weight to use.  As I
said, it works well.  Cheers.
Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner-daily driver) w/ZS 175s