Spitfire Cams

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Cams
From: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 96 09:01:21 PST8
Encoding: 33 Text
     Hi All -

     Some years back I rebuilt my 1296 engine (1970) in stock trim - cast
     manifold and single ZS. Subsequent to that I converted to twin SUs
     (not having the cash for Twin All Sucking Webers) and installed an
     exhaust header.

     I think I should install a cam with a pre-smog grind on it - say from
     a '67 or so - to make all this work right. I have a handful of cams in
     good shape to choose from, but I recall that the bearing diameters on
     Spitfires cam in two sizes, and I believe that earlier engines ran
     cams that spun directly in the block, while the later cams had a
     bearing inserted in the block.

     My question(s) - does anyone out there have the concise lowdown on
     1296 cams?

     If I replace my current cam with an earlier cam, should I have its
     bearings reground to fit the bearings in my engine, or should I just
     remove the bearings from my engine (doesn't sound too smart, does it?)
     and install the cam?

     What experience do others have with after-market cams? PAW used to
     sell a 3/4 race cam for the Spit that seemed to have the same grind as
     a pre-smog cam.

     Thanks!

     Tom

     1970 Spitfire - Butt Ugly, but improving (the car!)
     ctschmitz@ccgate.hac.com