RE: MJB/AOL

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MJB/AOL
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:00:17 -0700
Encoding: 32 TEXT
Personally I too appreciate the effort Mark is putting into this list. I think
we can all agree that it is an invaluable resource for our hobby, probably the
best resource there is come to think of it.

The AOL contributors are a part of that resource and should be encouraged to
stay on despite the aforementioned problems.

However, there is a certain protocol which should be followed by all members.
The idea of turning on auto responders while you are away is nice as long as
those responders are "intelligent" enough to avoid sending the response in
unwarranted circumstances. This list would be one of those circumstances, there
are others (imagine two email correspondents away on vacation at the same time
- will their auto responders just play ping-pong until they return or someone
shuts off their replies???). If your auto responder doesn't have smarts, then
don't use it while you are subscribed to this or other lists - simple as that.
If you forget and break our (Mark's really) list server, I think you should
suffer the consequences.

I know nothing about how AOL works but at my company we disable the auto
replies for internet mail, only internal mail is granted the priviledge of auto
replies. Perhaps AOL has a way to set up rules for when the auto replies are
issued??? If not perhaps someone ought to suggest it to AOL that this would be
useful feature to have???

I'm not sure if this is a concrete or workable suggestion but I would hate to
lose the value provided by some of the AOL listers. Please let's try to resolve
this so that we can all use the list for all our full benefit.

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
peterz@merak.com