Re: 70 TR6 and unleaded petrol solutions?

To: "Gene M." <MClan@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 70 TR6 and unleaded petrol solutions?
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:37:16 +1300
Gene

> I am curious what people with older TR's are doing now that the petrol
> is unleaded.  Are there replacement valve seats which need to be put in?
>  Lead substitutes-any good brands or sources (local stores seem to be
> phasing out a lot of the brands).  Anyone running a stock engine with no
> problems on the unleaded stuff?  I am in Calif. & we might have other
> additives that might cause problems. Any input will be appreciated.

In New Zealand, we have been forced to use unleaded petrol since the start
of this year. No words can adequately describe the quality of the fuel - it
is simply terrible.

In short, the fuel has caused poor engine starting, performance and
economy. It has been responsible for engine fires as the result of the fuel
damaging rubber components in the fuel system. The cartel of fuel companies
did face the wrath of the government (who mandated the fuels introduction),
so the formulation was adjusted, but not to the satisfaction of the people
who were forced to use it.

The fuel companies have attempted to appease motorists by putting out
booklets on tuning techniques, but the publications are worth less than the
paper wasted printing them.

What I have done is fit a Fuelstar unit. This is an Australian product that
is described as a fuel catalyst. It is fitted into the fuel line and
introduces tin to the fuel just prior to the fuel pump / carburettors. Tin
has similar properties to lead in that it cushions the valves and increases
the octane value. The effect is that I can now run the car using Regular
unleaded 91 as opposed to the 'Premium' Unleaded 96 (aka PULP). This is
naturally cheaper which is a bonus in itself.

The car has never run better. The carburettors need to be tuned as the
mixture is becomes too rich, and the ignition does need to be retarded
slightly becuase of the lower grade fuel, but the starting is improved,
economy is better, the spark plugs etc are cleaner and the car just feels
more satisfying to drive. Best of all, the unit's manufacturer guarentees
that no engine modifications are required in the form of hardened valve
seats etc.

Tin is reputed to be better than lead ever was, but has never been included
in fuel as it does not stay in suspension, the way that lead does. Tin
sitting on the bottom of bulk fuel tanks does no-one any good apparently...

There are other units available here as well, which do the same job. I
gather they give similar results.

The technology dates back to World War II, where spitfire warplanes were
fitted with similar units when stationed in Russia. The fuel there was not
particularily good, but the units meant the engines performed as required.

I don't have the supplier details with me at the moment, but I can find
them if you are interested.

The units is not cheap to buy ($NZ340 for a 2500cc engine), but as the car
is a daily driver, I felt that I am getting my moneys worth.

I must add that I have no financial interest in the product, I am just a
very satisfied customer along with others I know who have fitted the unit
to their classic car.

David Greed
1979 2500S

Email:  greed@wave.co.nz                        (Home)