Re: 70 TR6 and unleaded petrol solutions?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 TR6 and unleaded petrol solutions?
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:12:19 -0800
>I am curious what people with older TR's are doing now that the petrol
>is unleaded.  Are there replacement valve seats which need to be put in?
> Lead substitutes-any good brands or sources (local stores seem to be
>phasing out a lot of the brands).  Anyone running a stock engine with no
>problems on the unleaded stuff?  I am in Calif. & we might have other
>additives that might cause problems. Any input will be appreciated.

Gene:

When I rebuilt my TR6 motor I had the machine shop install hardened valve
seats, in an attempt to head this problem off at the pass... (this was in
1988, so I could still buy leaded fuel, although the rumor was that even it
was inadequate anymore)  While the car has been out of service for almost 6
years, the two years before that I drove it every day, using super unleaded
(92 octane if memory serves) and will continue to do so when I get it up
and running again.  At the time of the rebuild I also fitted all new
(stock) valves.  I think the hardened valve seats is one of the better
solutions, as I fear it is doubtful that the lead additives actually have
enough of an effect, not to mention that it's a pain to have to deal with
at every fill-up.  Having said that, though, I'll add that I've heard MUCH
debate about whether unleaded fuel in older motors really does that much
harm in most vehicles.  It seems that the concensus is that one would have
to drive a car very hard for long periods for a failure to be likely.  For
most folks who drive around town at low revs, it may not present a problem
at all.

I am not putting forth my opinion on this, just the conjecture that I've
heard in the past and read about.  I'd be glad to see some discussion about
it on the list, as I remain unconvinced either way.  When I rebuilt the
motor, I was unconvinced as well, but figured since I've got it apart now,
I may as well...

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6  (on jack stands, for now)
1973 240Z (old motor running daily on unleaded fuel!)