Re: 69 MkIII Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 69 MkIII Problems
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 13:45:31 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
   Jeff et al;
   A couple of things get me to wondering about the overheating
problems at hand. Why the vehicle doesn't want to go faster than
40-45 mph and if the radiator is really free flowing.
   Let me elaborate. Just because someone has run a can of radiator
flush through the cooling system doesn't mean that all the rust and
scale has been removed from the system. If the radiator is plugged
up, it still won't let enough coolant pass through and be cooled by
the air passing around the fins. Thus, overheating.
   On the second problem, why does the vehicle not want to go fast?
How long has the car sat up? Has it been driven every day or so for
ever? If the car has sat up, it is entirely possible that little
varmits have made the exhaust system their home. I had a '57 Ford
once that had sat up for a number of years. I got it started ok and
it idled real nice. But when I tried to drive it down the road, it
would not go fast at all. I noticed that it would run hot. I unhooked
the mufflers and lo and behold, the car ran like a champ. Some mice
had crawled up the exhaust and made it their home!
   You might want to check that out. It may be the culprit.
Dan