Re: Painting Radiator

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Re: Painting Radiator
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 16 Dec 96 8:58:40
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Regarding repainting a TR6 radiator ...

*snip*
My question to the group is that I want to repaint the radiator. I plan
on using Engine spray paint, black, and want to know if there are any
concerns with painting the grilling. The front side of the radiator
clearly had white paint on it from  a former paint job of the body. Any
reason I shouldn't give a thin coat of paint to the grill area?
*snip*

The operative phrase is ªthin coat of paintª to the grill area.  Obviously, you
want your cooling fins to keep on cooling.  If you¹ve already got the radiator
out, and it has paint on it from a previous job, my suggestion would be to find
a radiator shop that has a boil-out tank (not all do anymore -- enviro. regs
...).  It¹s not expensive -- should cost about $40.  This will make your
radiator happy and will strip off your old paint.  The shop might repaint it
for your you, but I would NOT have them do that -- you might want to knock off
the rust around the frame before you paint it again.  For that, IMHO, you could
use a specialty ªradiator blackª (Eastwood¹s), which goes on thinly, or apply
some hi-temp engine enamel, keeping it light over your fin areas ...

Martin S.
74 Spitfume