Re: TR7 Tweeks

To: grantura@agate.net
Subject: Re: TR7 Tweeks
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:59:27 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Randy,

I haven't seen you drive your TR7 at the time time trials, and I know
nothing about TR7's, but that never stopped me from offering comments on
other topics, so why stop now.

Was that a run-on sentence?

1. If you want, I'll try your TR7 out at NHIS or Lime Rock. We can compare
times and notes. I have no expericene at either place, so you can rest
assured that I would offer and "unbiased" opinion.

:-)

2. I would suspect that the TR7 probably shares the common trait of all
Triumphs that I have worked on: if you make 'em breath better, they'll
go. So, that brings up the issue: is there a lot of "meat" in the head
and manifolds that you can take away to port the thing? How about extra
meat in the valve seat area? Can you put in bigger valves?

Just guessing, though, I'd say the head design must be insufficient for
serious flow because the factory used the 4 valve-per-cylinder head way
back when for the factory race cars. The Dolomite engines tested out in
the 200 HP range, so the lower end can make some poer on that engine.

3. The chassis is certainly up to the rigors of racing. The Bob Tullius
TR8 was some kind of quick, as I recall. So, as long as you have the
basic chassis stuff set up, you should be okay there...

Just remember what you paid for this advice.

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? 3.5, for now.