TR6 clutch Hydralics question

To: "triumphs"<triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 clutch Hydralics question
From: "Michael Grey"<mike@hmsgroup.com> Boundary=">>>>>>> Next Section <<<<<<<"
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:55:16 -0800
-->>>>>>> Next Section <<<<<<<

I am the original owner of a 73 TR6. I'm also new to the list and
would appreciate some advice concerning clutch hydraulics. I believe
the locking bolt which holds the fork to the cross shaft on my
clutch has sheared, I suspect this because the clutch slave cylinder
piston does not retract when the clutch is depressed and will
actually extend far enough to completely come out of the cylinder
body when repeatedly engaged. Other symptoms are (1) I can't change
gears (2) when started in gear, the clutch spins under light power
loads. I haven't pulled the clutch yet to verify this theory.

My local British car shop (SF Bay Area) suggested that I let him
weld the fork to the cross shaft to preclude future problems, says
he does it all the time. Is this a good idea or should I just
replace the pin once I figure out how to extract it from the shaft?

Also are there variations on clutch slave cylinders for the TR6, the
original one I removed was mounted by passing the cylinder body
through the mounting bracket, [as depicted in my work shop manual
and Haynes]. The replacement cylinder I got from MOSS appears to
bolt on the other side of the mounting bracket which doesn't look
right. Did I get the wrong part? Is this what could be causing one
of my problems?

Any help would be appreciated.
Michael S. Grey
mike@hmsgroup.com