Re: shocks - Spitfar

To: ak627@dayton.wright.edu
Subject: Re: shocks - Spitfar
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:43:36 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 02 Jan 1997 20:29:13 -0500 Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
writes:
>Hello Ed, you asked :
>
> >What shocks would you folks recommend putting onto a Sptfire (Mark
>II)?
> >Sears is having a huge sale on all of thier shocks - will any from
>there
> >be of any use on the Spit?  The most expensive shock they have is
>$45
> >(each), much less than a new set of Spax or Koni.  If the Sears ones
> >will work, what are the specs (I have no idea how shocks are
>measured).
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ed
>

>It seems to me that the easiest answer to this would come from Sears.
>Tell 'em what you have, and see if they can look it up in their parts
>book.
>You might just get lucky, many parts books, such as NAPA's, go 'way
>back,
>and include cross-references.  If they want to sell you some shocks,
>they
>will (or should, IMHO) try to find one to fit your car.
>
>Best regards,
>Tom Tweed
>SW Ohio
>'69 Spitfar owner, 1974-1976

Tom,

I beg to differ.  I would not trust Sears to select a shock for my car,
especially my LBC.  I put a set of Sears shocks in a vehicle and had them
back out in less than 3 months.  They were a very bad match for the car,
wrong damping rate, much too hard.  I don't believe the small savings is
worth it.  I believe they fit too many cars to the same shock.  Just my
$0.02.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L