TR250 - Response (long)

To: Rob.Breakstone@infores.com
Subject: TR250 - Response (long)
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:03:22 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rob

You posted: << My question is is the TR250 a better Triumph (more rare) than
the TR6 and what is the availability of parts?  Also I have not seen the car
since it is four-and-half hours from my house.  What should I be concerned
with when I do look at it yellow striped hoses, rust, missing body parts?
 The asking price is $3900 and I believe the person is somewhat desperate >>

Please let me ramble:   The TR250 is indeed a more rare Triumph - being that
only 8484 were built (according to some figures, a few more or less by
others)  while there were 96,0000+ TR6's over its lifetime and 40,000 or so
TR4 and 4a's.  More valuable, Not necessarily at this time, at least not
monetarily - they seem to be sold for about the same price as a TR6.

Parts availablity is very good, considering that very little of the car is
specifice to the TR250.  The body and frame is practically identicle to the
TR4a, the Engine and drive train practically identicle to the early TR6.

Remember, in 1968 Triumph was struggling with impending emmissions
regulations from the US (their cash cow market) EPA and fighting to stay
competitive against the MG, MB, Jag market for this niche.  The TR4 four
cylinder had been around for quite some time (you'll hear it refered to as a
"tractor engine" from its ferguson roots) and was a bit rough for the tastes
of the american public.  Not least of all it was also going to be nigh
impossible to clean it up to meet EPA.

As such, Triumph was working on a straight six for its sports cars.  A
modified verision of the 2000 cc engine being produced (longer stroke)
produced the 2500 cc straight six found in the 250 and subsequent TR6's.

A) in an effort to get it to market - and B) being the thrifty english that
they were  -  the engine was broght to market in 1968 by stuffing it into the
TR4a.   It was a neat fit, and allowed the Brits to empty the parts bins of
the TR4a that was finishing up its production run.  Have I failed to mention
that the body work on the TR6 wasn't finished up anyway !!!  Micholeti
(designer of the TR4) was up to its Italian ears in some other project and
Triumph turned to Karman (German) to spiff up the sheet metal for the TR6.

Take a close look - they did a great job economizing.  The TR6 is basically
the same Tub, and passenger compartment as the TR4.  The only real difference
is from the doors forward, and the doors rearward.  Different wings, bonnet
and boot.  Doors are the same, Dash support, Windscreen etc the same.

As previously, and up until the TR7, Triumph was an evolution of automobile
design, with little totally new designs.

All of this said to illlustrate that indeed parts availability is good due to
the number of parts shared with the TR4 and TR6.  Things like the Grill, and
some badgework might be hard to find, but all in all available.

To me they are wonderful cars for the uniqueness of them, kinda like a TR3b -
and the part of history they represent for the Triumph Marquee.

If you like the body style (vs the 6 which is considered "more masculine") go
for it.  In evaluating the car, you should look for the same things that you
do in evaluating the TR6, rust on the frame where the trailing arms meet,
rust in the rocker panels, rust , rust ,rust .. . .     One unique place to
look for rust is in the "eyebrows" over the headlights.  This is a place that
tends to rust.

Bring your magnet and check for hidden rut and bondo.  $3,600 may be fair,
but the car is probably truly worth less on the open market.  (however only
you can decide what it is worth to you :-)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

Regards to all (back on real time)

JoeSimcoe