Re: TR8 insurance

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: TR8 insurance
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 11:22:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Deb Summa and Jim TenCate wrote:

> Not my favorite topic but alas, a necessary evil and I'm curious to see
> what you folks have done about this.
>
> My 4 cars are up for insurance again (Allstate, NM).  I think the TR6
> should qualify for JC Taylor or something like that (anyone have their
> phone number?) so I'm taking it off the Allstate policy.  Still thinking
> about having the TR8 on it though as it's a semi-regular driver.
>
> Anyway, the "premium" for the Volvo and Taurus both dropped (they're
> getting older) but the TR8 went UP!!  I called my agent and he double
> checked and sure enough, the TR8 is now classified in a higher risk
> bracket.  I asked him to ask the guys who determine this sort of thing
> "Why?"  The Volvo cost more new and is worth more now than the TR8 and
> parts are more $$$ too; it's about $50 a year less that the TR8.  Weird.
> He called back and said the TR8 was reclassifed because it has a V8, and is
> frequently "hopped up", and claims on the cars have been far more expensive
> than average.  (#$*&%$(#  WHAT claims?  How many smashed-TR8-claims with
> Allstate do you think they had last year?  1,2?  Just enough to get us
> noticed I'd guess.
>
> That's the Allstate party line.  Clearly BS.  Someone saw "sportscar" and
> decided to soak us for more $$$ because what can we do about it anyway?
> Geez I hate insurance companies.  Ever tried switching companies?  No one
> else will even TRY and match Allstate's rate (we have years of good driver
> credits).  Seems they don't want or need the business.  Sucks.  Anyway,
> (sorry about that), I'm curious to know about other insurance options.
> That guy in Arizona couldn't do my car when I was in TX;  maybe now.  Fred,
> are you still insured through him?  Is the TR8 a candidate for JC Taylor?
> Also, I understand the insurance through VTR isn't terribly competitive.
> Anyone have any hard numbers?  If I must, the car will lose its
> "semi-regular driver" status and go on "weekend/club events only" status.
> Sigh.
>
> Jim TenCate, 80 FI TR8, early 74 TR6, 86 Taurus, 87 Volvo 240 wagon

Hi Jim,

I am in the process of changing insurance companies now.  I have
auto insurance with State Farm and Home insurance with Allstate.  No one
has been able to beat them untill now.  If you are over 50 and belong to
AARP (old folks club) they have a program thru Hartford Ins. Co.  (800)
824-8822. I bought a 96 GMC 3/4 ton diesel and just bought a 97 Chrysler
Town and Country Van.  My insurance on the truck was $760/yr and the van
was quoted at about the same.  Both had a list price of around $30,000.
The quote for the truck from Hartford was $582 and the van $520.  I also
have a new 28' travel trailer and they quoted $145.  Overall with
Hartford I will save about $500 a year.  Allstate has always been cheaper
 on homeowners in anystate I have lived in (FL,GA,SC, MS).

I have insurance thru Hagerty on the TR8. It is a non daily driver and
modified with a Holly 4bbl and different exaust.  I gave them a
2500mi/yr.  usage on it as it's not a daily driver.  that policy is
$186/yr.  On all of my policies I carry 100,00/300,00 liability and the
same on uninsured motorist.  If you have several classic cars you
only have to have one liability policy and just aadditional
coverage for comprensive for the additional cars (real money saver).
Several other classic car insurers quoted about the same.  Their # is 800
922-4050

I have been told that due to the North Carolina system (insurance
commission stacked with insurance company representatives as are a number
of other states - see money magazine article 8/96) that they can't write
liability policies but can do the comprensive.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
Tupelo, MS