TR3 rack & pinion conversion question

Subject: TR3 rack & pinion conversion question
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:38:04 -0600
        For the third time, I'll try to post this.  Other mail programs  have
better features, but until I'm get smart enough to import addresses, I'll
stick with this!

        In More BS about TR's (Bob Schaller, page 20,) there is a discussion of
using a TR4 rack and pinion steering box on a TR3.  There are several
mentions of other drawings and instructions.  Does any one out there have a
copy of those, or experience with this conversion?

        After getting together all the parts together and fabricating the
necessary mounting bracket I'm at a loss as to how to tie the TR3 column to
the 4's pinion.  The 3's column is 3/4" spline and the box is 5/8".  The
book suggests using two universals, a flex coupling and a short piece of a
TR6 column, but there does not appear to be enough room to put all of that
together.  Mines close enough I could ALMOST use just one universal or a
straight coupler, if I could just find the right combination to accommodate
the different shaft sizes.

        At last years Summer party I talked to a man with a white TR3 who had a
similar setup and later called him and got much good information, but have
since lost the 'phone number.  I believe his name was John Elwing from
Indianapolis.  Does anyone out there have his 'phone number.

        Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Gano
kengano@advant.com
TR3A TS57756 (in pieces)