Re: '66 GT6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '66 GT6
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 07:59:19 -0800 (PST)
J. Stovall wrote:
>        Anyway, here's what I need help with. First, those Strombergs. My
>rear one is pretty okay while my front one runs real rich. I think those
>things being out of tune may account for a fairly signicant loss of power
>I'm dealing with. Might also be those plugs, but, we'll find out tommorow.
>Anyways, I can't get the front carb to stop running so rich. Any ideas?

>        This one probably has to do with the above post on the Strombergs.
>I run out of revs real quick. When we first got the car, everything was in
>tune and we had torque all te way up to about 5500rpm. Now, most of the
>torque is gone at about 3000 and the revs go real fast. Any ideas here?

J. Stovall:

On a long road trip with a local car club, I followed a TR3 which had a
similar problem.  It puzzled us at the time, but we soon discovered that
the needle valve in one carb had unscrewed itself, and so the float was
constantly pushing on the needle, keeping the valve open, and obviously
upsetting (to say the least!) the float level in that carb.  Needless to
say, the thing ran terribly!  The owner had managed to nurse it along for
quite a number of miles, with me following behind breathing the black
smoke!!  We were all releived that this was the whole problem.

Check the needle valve on that carb, and while you're at it make sure that
the float level is correct, on both carbs.  You should do a visual
inspection of the rubber diaphragms in the carbs, too, just as a matter of
course.  It sounds like your problem is not nearly as severe as the
scenario above, but check these things out!  The only other possibility I
can think of is that the forward carb's needle adjusting screw is stripped.
I don't have any clue of how to repair this without replacing the whole
carb.

Hope this gets you somewhere!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6