Tranny Advice Needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Advice Needed
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 13:08:19 -0800
The gearbox from my '62 Herald 1200 is out of the car for other reasons
(car's in a body shop for body restoration), so this seems a good time
to go after it. It's the same box they used in early Spits, w/ no syncro
on 1st gear, and Reverse to the left of 1st. It has the usual problems,
worn syncros on 2nd and 3rd, and it likes to pop out of reverse. I had
the lid off a few 1000 miles ago, to see if I could figure out the
reverse gear problem. Couldn't. The gear teeth looked fine, though,
including the reverse idler. The shifter is shot, but I understand
there's a bushing kit that'll make it like new. Here are my questions.

First, does anybody know what breaks or wears out to cause the car to
pop out of gear in reverse?

Second, concerning the syncros, will the wear-out be limited to the
syncro cups themselves, or are they likely to have worn into the bevels
on the gears too?

Finally, is there anything else I should check while it's apart?

Bill Kelly