Engine Oil Leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Oil Leak
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 13:36:39 -0800
My '62 Herald 1200 has been leaking oil since about 1965, when my Mom
owned it. I know this because I had to clean the garage. It dumps a
quart every 300-or-so miles - I think this is heavy enough to be called
a gush. I've gone after it a couple of times over the years, with no
success. Conventional wisdom is that it's the rear seal. It's the early
scroll-type seal. Are these capable of working? Wouldn't there be signs
of this much flow visible on the scrollwork?

If this does turn out to be the case (the engine is out of the car and
it's going to be opened up next week), is there a cure? Is it possible
to mill the scrolling off the end of the crankshaft and upgrade to the
later style seal, or would the diameter of the flange be too small?

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want this problem to still be there
when the engine goes back in the car.

Bill Kelly