Re: Spit Motor Rebuild

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Motor Rebuild
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 97 15:41:54 EST
On Jan 6,  3:31pm, "Vincenti, Ross" wrote:
> in the early
> Spit/Herald 1147 cc motor there is no oil seal in the rear of the motor,
> just a scroll type groove that supposedly "flings" the oil back into the
> sump and away from the rear crankbearing.

Probably - this is what TR-2/3/4 also had.

> So, query for the masses - is the "flinger" seal analysis correct?

Yup, probably.

> Is there actually supposed to be a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing?

I dunno about early Spits, but it wouldn't surprise me.

> How much oil drippage is considered "normal" if in fact the scroll seal is
> as described?

If the scroll seal is properly centered, there should be very little
leakage.  They actually work pretty well.  There is one thing that
I learned the hard way, though.  You aren't by any chance parking
on a hill with the nose facing up are you?  If so, you'll get a lot
of leakage - the scroll seal only works when the motor is running;
if you park at enough of an angle for the oil in the sump to be
above the level of the seal, it'll leak for sure.

> What is the likelihood that my new clutch and pressure plate
> will become covered in oil?

Ummm, sorry - if its leaking that much, you're sure to get oil
on the clutch eventually.

> Any tips/thoughts as to how best minimize the
> oil leak?

Other than taking it back apart and doing it right?

good luck,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm