Carb Questions (Spitfire)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb Questions (Spitfire)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:35:12 -0500
Greetings Triumphal Ones,

Thanks to some record breaking warm temperatures this past weekend,
I was able to enjoy some topless motoring.  It was great.  The down-side
was a carb problem which I had forgotten about showed up again.  The
problem is sudden loss of power (fuel starvation) whenever I am turning
or banking left in the car.  The reason I had forgotten about the problem
is that the following conditions must be met before it appears.

Ambient temperature must be at least 70deg. F.
Car must be fully warmed up.
Car must be turning or banking left.

I drove the car a lot today (temp. in the 50's) and the problem is just not
there.  This is strange.  The carb in question here is a stock ZS150
manual choke as fitted to a Spitfire Mk4 (1300cc), although I have a
1500 motor.  I have checked the float level several times as this would
seem to be the likely candidate.  Any other ideas?

Carb question #2.
I would like to locate a pair of K&N air filters for my SU HS4s.  The HS2
filters are about $10 cheaper (ea.) than Moss UK here in the states thru VB.
Unfortunately VB does not list the HS4 filters in their Spitfire catalog.
Does anyone know if VB lists them in another catalog?  HS4s were fitted
to early US spec MGBs (ooops, sorry for swearing ;-)) and various other
LBCs.

I visited Moss in Richmond UK during the Xmas holidays.  What a pleasure
it was to go to a parts store where they don't look at you like you're from
Mars when you say the word "Triumph".  They had all the bits I need for
my SU rebuilds *in stock*.

I spotted several Spitfires on the road in the Greater London area and quite
a few of those M*BGTs.  No TRs strangely enough.  Perhaps all the salt &
snow on the roads was keeping them at bay.

Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->