Re: Carb Questions (Spitfire)

To: S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carb Questions (Spitfire)
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 14:41:54 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.TEAM.NET
>Greetings Triumphal Ones,
>
>Thanks to some record breaking warm temperatures this past weekend,
>I was able to enjoy some topless motoring.  It was great.  The down-side
>was a carb problem which I had forgotten about showed up again.  The
>problem is sudden loss of power (fuel starvation) whenever I am turning
>or banking left in the car.  The reason I had forgotten about the problem
>is that the following conditions must be met before it appears.
>
>Ambient temperature must be at least 70deg. F.
>Car must be fully warmed up.
>Car must be turning or banking left.
>
>I drove the car a lot today (temp. in the 50's) and the problem is just not
>there.  This is strange.  The carb in question here is a stock ZS150
>manual choke as fitted to a Spitfire Mk4 (1300cc), although I have a
>1500 motor.  I have checked the float level several times as this would
>seem to be the likely candidate.  Any other ideas?

Check the needle. It could have come lose and is only sticking the float
level down when turning left. Other possibilities.....do you have Grose
Jets or the old needles? Eithier way, one of these could be dead. Knowing
what little I know bout how those things work, I would guess that would
most likely come up if the jets you have aren't Grose. Anyway, hope this
helps.

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."